command line network inspection programs

Hi,

I am building an intranet for our company and I would like to build in some kind of network monitoring/management system also.

I was just wondering if there are any useful command line network inspection programs that either come with RedHat 9 or I can download. Preferably I would like them to be able to tell me as much as possible about the network the machine is running on.

I know about nmap, and would probably use that to sense services a particular machine (I presume it can’t search the entire network). But I was hoping there were other programs that could do things such as sense all the machines on the network and supply me with their IP address, and anything else that might be useful, e.g. any system information for that particular machine.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Donald