Re: Running multiple versions of Linux on the same box?

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 20:53:49 -0800, Richard Crawford wrote:

> Prasad Pillarisetti wrote:
>
> > Not simultaneously. I am aware of VMware, where I could run two versions simultaneously.
> > But that is not what I am looking for.
> >
> > I would boot to the version I need.
>
> Isn't GRUB meant for just this kind of thing?  I have about seven
> different kernels on my box, and Windows2K.  When I turn on the
> computer, I get to choose which OS or which kernel I want to run (though
> I have the latest kernel set as the default).

Exactly.

Just install the bootloader of each OS into its own partition and
chainload these boot partitions from the primary bootloader in Master Boot
Record.

Don't make the mistake and share a /boot/grub directory for several Linux
distributions. It results in increased maintenance requirements.