RE: MySQL problem

On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 12:24, L. Christopher Luther wrote:
> You also need *both* the MySQL server *and* the MySQL Client installed on
> the server.  Otherwise, client applications will not be able to actually
> connect to the MySQL server.

Wrong.  He only needs the mysql-client package installed if he wishes to
use the command-line mysql utility to connect.  In this case, I doubt he
needs it at all.  It's quite likely the program he's trying to use is
using the DBI libraries (php-mysql, perl-DBD-mysql, etc), which *would*
need to be installed, per Popper's documentation.  For example, on my
development system, I only have mysql-3.23 and mysql-server-3.23
installed, but I have no problems connecting to MySQL databases using
the perl-DBI and perl-DBD-MySQL modules.

It's going to be hard to help this user because a) he's really in the
wrong forum (this is a MySQL/Popper-specific issue, it has nothing to do
with RedHat, per se), and b) he hasn't given us enough debugging
information.

But if I had to choose, I would imagine he hasn't setup his database
user(s) properly as per the Popper documentation.  I'm not familiar with
Popper, and I'm not going to read the documentation for him, so I'm just
guessing.  :)

--
Jason Dixon, RHCE
DixonGroup Consulting