Re: RH9 - Can't add second drive - for backup.

Harry - Thanks for your response.  I tried this and got a new
message on boot:

mount: label=/root duplicate - not mounted

I guess this means I will have to relabel all six of the
partitions on my second drive?  Sounds like time for a rant (at
Red Hat, Harry, not at you):

Why can't RH9 understand the difference between "hda /label"
and "hdb /label"?  Especially considering that RH7.3 apparently
has no problem with this.  Even Windows can do this.

Relabeling hdb partitions will not work in my application, which
is using the second drive as a backup.  Ideally, I would use dd
to copy all the partitions from hda to hdb every night.  If hda
crashes, all I have to do is change the jumpers for master and
slave, and I'm up and running on hdb.  Been doing this for years
with RH7.3.

Now I'm back to square one.  Is there any way to make a backup
this accessible without adding hardware?   -Glenn.

Harry sez:

"The problem is that on each disk you have a partition labeled
as "/".  The program e2label uses partition lables so that even
if the device number changes mount is still able to figure out
which partition is supposed to be "/".

"The easiest way to do this is to boot the system with the
install CD choosing "linux rescue" as the boot option. Ensure
that the rescue program doesn't try to mount your disks.

"Then run: e2label /dev/hdb1 /YOURNAME HERE
(or whatever the other drive is)

"Then boot your system normally, edit /etc/fstab and add and
entry for the new filesystem.

"That should be all :-)

"HTH,
Harry"

Quoting glenn <glenn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

*> Here's the deal.  I'm trying to add a fully-loaded RH9 IDE hard
*> drive to a computer that already has one.  Have done this with
*> RH7.3 no problem.  With RH9, I get this message on boot:
*>
*> mount: label=/ duplicate - not mounted
*>
*> I'm using lilo boot loader.  The drives are jumpered correctly
*> for master and slave.  I have tried using one or the other as
*> master and slave with the same result.  When using either drive
*> alone, computer boots up fine.
*>
*> Any clue to fixing this appreciated.  Thanks.   -Glenn.