Re: RH9 - Can't add second drive.

The problem is that on each disk you have a partition labeled as "/".  The
program e2label uses partition lables so that even if the device number changes
mount is still able to figure out which partition is supposed to be "/".

The easiest way to do this is to boot the system with the install CD choosing
"linux rescue" as the boot option. Ensure that the rescue program doesn't try to
mount your disks.

Then run: e2label /dev/hdb1 /YOURNAME HERE
(or whatever the other drive is)

Then boot your system normally, edit /etc/fstab and add and entry for the new
filesystem.

That should be all :-)

HTH,
Harry

Quoting glenn <glenn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

*> Here's the deal.  I'm trying to add a fully-loaded RH9 IDE hard
*> drive to a computer that already has one.  Have done this with
*> RH7.3 no problem.  With RH9, I get this message on boot:
*>
*> mount: label=/ duplicate - not mounted
*>
*> I'm using lilo boot loader.  The drives are jumpered correctly
*> for master and slave.  I have tried using one or the other as
*> master and slave with the same result.  When using either drive
*> alone, computer boots up fine.
*>
*> Any clue to fixing this appreciated.  Thanks.   -Glenn.
*>
*>
*> --
*> redhat-list mailing list
*> unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@xxxxxxxxxx?subject=unsubscribe
*>

--
Harry Hoffman
hhoffman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

# Harry: version 4.0a                                            #
# Known bugs:                                                    #
# 1) Verbal output may occur before data processing is complete. #
# 2) Loudspeaker option may activate without being invoked.      #
# 3) Other bugs as reported                                      #