Re: Firewall: iptables rules for ssh, web, e-mail and DNS

Tomás,

I have used so many scripts, the one that I would recomend is IPKUNGFU. It's easy to configure, logs well and it's non graphical. You configue it with a text file and it runs as service.
Also you can get the rpm, no need for compilation.
http://www.linuxkungfu.org/

Regards,

OB

Tomás García Ferrari wrote:

Thanks, Sasa.

But what about some non-graphical solution? I'm not physically in front of
the computer and I have to set up this using ssh...

The machin will have only one interface (eth0) and is not acting as a
router. Just a plain web/mail/DNS server... That's why I'm guessing that
this should be a pretty straight forward script! (nevertheless, I can't find
one like this...)

Regards,
Tomás

Tomás García Ferrari wrote:

Hello:

I'm trying to configure iptables (on RH 9) with a restrictive set of rules,
to leave open only ssh, http, pop3 / imap, smtp and DNS ports and close all
the rest.

I was reading tons of differents articles and options all over the web, but
none of them gave me a pretty basic and simple way of configuring this
(isn't it that 'black magic' thing, right?)

Which script do you normally use? Where can I find this information?

Thanks!
Tomás

If you don't use it as a router for LAN then U can use Lockkit which is
in the distribution. Otherwise I suggest you to use Firestarter
http://firestarter.sourceforge.net

- Sasa

+-- --+ Tomás García Ferrari Bigital http://bigital.com/ +-- --+