Re: mii-tool failure

> Hi there,
>
> I am investigating a slow link connection I set up between two machines.
>
> I installed a second nic in both with a direct utp (crossover) connection
> between the two.
> The primary LAN connection can transfer data at a very high rate, but the
> secondary
> direct connection transfer rate is around 1Mb per second at best.
>
> The mii tools fails as follows, Is someone able to explain to me why the
> mii-tool fails
> to determine the second nic details?

I haven't ever used mii-tools, but I have seen two things that can cause
this:

1) If you made the crossover cable yourself,  and you weren't extremely
careful, you can get bleedover, etc.  I have been burned a couple of times,
so now I purchase them.  Saves the headache. :)

2) I've had problems lately with auto-detect of duplex.  I've gotten to the
point where I specify full or half duplex, based on the NIC's switch, etc.
In your case, you might want to try half-duplex on both cards, then when
that works, try full-duplex and see what happens.

Come to think of it, you might want to double check your router table also.
You might need a static route stating that all traffic headed for your other
machine *has* to go through that other NIC.

HTH,

Ben