RE: automatically generating an encrypted passwd for useradd -p

Are you looking for a way to force the user to enter a password at
next login or to automatically set the password to something?

If you're just looking for a way to create the hash, you can use
a perl script like below.  Call it "gen_crypt.pl" and use it with
usermod like "usermod -p $( gen_crypt.pl somepass ) username":

#!/usr/bin/perl

my $pass  = shift;

print
  crypt( $pass, join( "", map { $salts[ rand( scalar(@salts) ) ] } ( 1, 2 ) ) );