Re: INIT ld "x" respawning too fast disabled for 5 minutes

On November 28, 2003 11:04 am, Brian Furey wrote:
> peter,
> thanks for the help.
> 'startx' worked and it loaded up the Gnome
> environment.
> I just discovered that my /usr/bin directory is
> missing.Is this why the 'INIT ld "x" ' problem is
> occurring or was the /usr/bin directory deleted as a
> result.
> I have another linux machine with the same version.Can
> i just copy the contents of the /usr/bin directory of
> that machine to the machine with the problem?
>
> Brian

> Download Yahoo! Messenger now for a chance to win Live At Knebworth DVDs
> http://www.yahoo.co.uk/robbiewilliams

Hi Brian,
There are a lot of files in /usr/bin and my RH 8 has about 50 with gnome in
the name so it would make sence that is causing the problem.

You should be able to copy /usr/bin from the remote system.  There may be some
changes depending on what is installed, but the basics should all be the
same.

The real question is what happened to /usr/bin ??
Is it a separate fs that didn't mount (is /usr there?)?
Was it renamed by accident?
Anything else missing?
Do you run tripwire?
--