Samba error

So when I login via w2k I get an error

Windows cannot locate your roaming profile and is attempting to log you on
with your local profile.  Changes to the profile will not propagated to the
server.

DETAIL- the specified network password is incorrect.

then

I get the following error after the first one:

Windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you on w/ a temp profile.
Changes will not be saved when you log off

--
Michael S. Dunsavage

Hi Michael,

I tried your smb.conf file and found that two switches you are using killed nmbd. I removed the two lines

domain admin group = @wheel
domain admin users = root

and restarted Samba (/etc/init.d/smb restart) to find that nmbd continues to run without those two lines. I used nmblookup to verify that the daemon works correctly and logged in with both my Win98 and Win2K systems.

It must be a bug in Samba 2.2.7 because I've tried other switches that are supposed to work only to have them kill nmbd also. I'm waiting to see which platforms Win4Lin will support in the near future before deciding whether to move to Fedora or another OS before deciding what to do about Samba 3.0.

nmbd provides domain authentication and WINS server support for Samba, so without it Samba doesn't work at all.

Tom

Thomas S. Fortner
Burleson, Texas
thomas.fortner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
"but we preach Christ crucified..."  1 Corinthians 1:23