xioerror and user authentication errors

Title: xioerror and user authentication errors

Hi,

Having logged a fault report in bugzilla for a couple of days and without any response,
I wonder if I have some luck with this mailing list.

Description of problem:

The console window manager on our RH 9.0 box fails to start up with
repeated messages recording in /var/log/messages:

gdm[nnnn]: gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error - Restarting 0

Following a suggestion obtained through the web, we commented out
the following line in /etc/X11/XF86Config:

    FontPath  "unix/:7100"

the display manager can then come up normally.

However, we can only log on using the root account.

When we tried to log in using any of our normal user accounts,
a small window pops up saying there are problems detected.
It then reverts back to the normal logon screen.

The system is part of a NIS client, but we can log on
remotely using ssh (ie. non window) with the normal user accounts.

In the system log /var/log/messages, it reports:

gdm(pam_unix)[nnnn]: bad username [pcmc]
gdm-binary[nnnn]: Couldn't authenticate user
gdm(pam_unix}[nnnn]: session closed for user pcmc
gdm is 2.4.1.3

The system has been working fine (without a reboot) until today.

In the up2date log (/var/log/up2date.2), on Nov 18,
there had been a number updates on XFree86-4.3.0-2.90.43
and relating XFree86 products.

Not sure if that is relevant to the problems now experience.

Peter