Re: Proxy config...

Pete Nesbitt wrote:

On November 26, 2003 06:40 am, Paula Fernandes wrote:

Hi all,

I am a newbye, so sorry for this question!

How can I (and what kind of) configure a proxy server under my redhat
9.0 machine?

I have a network with a win98 machine. I want this machine to have
Internet access via my redhat machine. This is why I need a proxy...

Thanks for help

Hi Paula,
are you after a proxy to cache web content or are you after a firewall to sit infront of the win98 (and whatever else) to access the internet. If you only have one local machine you probably arn't after a web caching proxy like squid, but just need to set up a second network card in the Linux box and create a firewall that would show all outbound traffic as coming from one IP. That is easy and everything is probably installed.

If that is the case I'm sure there will be lots of opinions on the best rules set, but either way you will likely just set up IPtables then create rules via /etc/init.d/iptables ot in /etc/sysconfig/iptables. Of course there are several tools to help with this if you prefer not to edit files manually.

Please let us know what functionality your Red Hat gateway need to provide.

In addition to ease seting up firewall use Firestarter ( http://firestarter.sourceforge.net ). It is a nice GUI frontend for iptables and understandable.

Sasa