Re: Passwd|Shadow & Group file Sync..

On November 23, 2003 03:21 pm, Keith Morse wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 redhat@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > I have multiple Redhat and Solaris boxes running with different accounts.
> > I would like to keep all my user accounts and groups the same across all
> > these boxes for easier management.  NIS is not a option and I was
> > wondering if you guys can recommend anything else to achieve this task.
> > Any suggestions would be grately appreciated.  Any howto's would be
> > helpful as well :)
>
> Also a college based web site delineated the setup of ssh and rsync as a
> replacement for NIS.  MIT or CMU I believe but I don't remember exactly.
>
> A quick google search came up with:
>
> 	http://www.stone.nu/stuff/rsync+ssh/rsync+ssh/c10.html

I was running into a similar problem with soalris machines running com. ssh
and rh boxes running openssh, and most with different user id (and I like to
use a diff passwd on each machine (security and I know which I logged into).
I ended up installing both com & ssh on my wkstation, then ran scripts like
ssh_servername that started the appropriate ssh client and sent the userid
for that machine, presenting me with a passwd prompt.
--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce