Re: Kernel question?

On November 26, 2003 12:00 am, Anthony Yulo wrote:
> Hi! what is the latest version of the linux kernel does redhat have?
>
> I know the latest LINUX kernel is 2.4.22 but does REDHAT have a custom
> kernel for 2.4.22?
>
> currently, i have a redhat kernel 2.4.20-8 that came with REDHAT LINUX 9
> CD... i tried to PATCHING a BLUETOOTH module, the output had many errors
> saying that there were many hunks that failed...
>
> i emailed the person who made the patch and said that the patch that he
> made doesn't support vendor-specific kernels...
>
> would it be ok for my redhat linux maching if i just recompile a new kernel
> that is not customized by redhat? what would be the consequences if i use a
> different kernel other than REDHAT LINUX KERNEL?

Hi Anthony,
it is not uncommon to see errors and/or warning during a compile. Did the
compile complete or did it fail ending on a error?

the latest official kernel for rh9 is kernel-2.4.20-20.9

I don't know that there are problems going to a non-red hat kernel, but  you
should not "upgrade" (overwrite) but "install additional" kernels in case you
have boot probs with the new one, keep a spare available via grub/lilo. One
advantage of using the Red Hat kernels is when you update via RHN you don't
have to mess with seting all the sym links and changes to grub etc.

--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce