Re: multiple groups & soft/hard links

On 09:15 25 Nov 2003, James D. Parra <JamesP@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| Secondly, I noticed that if you create a soft link to the directory and try
| to change the permission of the soft link the target itself is modified. Any
| way around this?

Generally not. It's a great annoyance. For this reason I almost never use
"chown -R" or "chgrp -R", and instead use cumbersome:

	find dir ! -type l -print | xargs chown ...

incantations.

In my opinion only the open and cd calls should follow symlinks but when
they invented symlinks for UNIX, in their zeal to make symlinks look
"transparent", the BSD people made the default behaviour that most
syscalls follow symlinks and thus we have the historic effect you've
noticed.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

The govt MUST regulate the Net NOW! We can't have average people saying
what's on their minds!  - ezwriter@xxxxxxxxxx