Re: [OT] ICMP destination unreachable

Leonard Miller wrote:

Can you send one of the packets?  It is probably just trying to reach a
port
that is not listening.

Leonard

jamesredhatlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 11/25/03 01:06PM >>>

Hoping someone can help out with what I think is a strange problem. I
have a Redhat 9 machine that has OpenNMS installed. I was playing with
OpenNMS for collecting SNMP traps. Right now I DO NOT have OpenNMS
running, at least the service is not started and I don't see it in the
list if I do ps -ef.

If I run a packet capture with Ethereal I see SNMP traps coming in,
which I would expect. After each trap I see a destination unreachable
trap going from my machine back to the machine that sent the trap.

1) Any idea what could source for that could be?
2) Besides that, the IPs that it says destination unreachable for are
all ping'able.

Any ideas or suggestions?,
James

Agreed, this is normal behavior assuming the port is not currently listening. This is the way the IP stack tells the other machine that the port in question is closed. Should be considered normal behavior.
--
-David Goode
Check Point Software