Re: problem with the configuration and installation of redhat 9

Franck, I'm sure nobody is going to go through ALL your problems and fix them for you. It may be wiser to ask one question at a time. The people on this list are volunteers, and although glad to help, are not here to figure everything out. Having said that, see my notes below your post.

franck quinard wrote:

hello,

I just installed redhat 9 and so far I love it.
However, I got some questions:

1) I have a flat monitor (Viewsonic VP 171b) and I could'nt used it during the installation process because I could only see half of the instructions.
So I used normal screen to install everything and switch after.
Does anyone know a way of installing this distribution with this screen from the start?

What do you mean by half of the instructions? Did the screen stretch past the physical viewing area of your screen? You don't really specify what you mean. Please be specific.

2) My notherboard is an Asus A7N8X and I could'nt figure out how to install the onboard ethernet card. I read a lot about it on the internet but nothing seems to work. Then, I bought a $10 ethernet card and it's working like a charm.
Does anybody know how to make it worked?

Again - post all details!!!

What sort of onboard LAN is it, make and model and what makes you say it doesn't work?

3) I have the default bootloader GRUB. Because I'd like to be able to stay with my windows on the other harddrive until I'm able to use linux to do all my work. But I cannot mount this harddrive (hda1 & hda2). I can mount my cdrom and see my hdb1 & hdb2.
Could someone tell me what I have to do to be able to see my primary harddrive?

I just this, but I must do something wrong since it doesn't work.
I have 2 partitions on my primary harddrive.
hda1 with a ntfs file system
hda2 with a fat file system
so I wrote in /etc/fstab:
/dev/hda1 /mnt/windSys ntfs uid=0,gid=0,umask=002,exec,dev,suid,rw 1 1
/dev/hda2 /mnt/windData vfat uid=0,gid=0,umask=002,exec,dev,suid,rw 1 1

could you tell me what's wrong, because when I do this command:
mount -t vfat /dev/hda2 /mnt/windSys2
I get this error message:
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda2,
or too many mounted file systems
(aren't you trying to mount an extended partition,
instead of some logical partition inside?)

Try just 'mount /dev/hda2'.

4) I updated the kernel, so now I have kernel 2.4.20-20.9. I installed the driver (eagle 1.0.4e) for my modem (sagem fast 800). My connection is working fine, but when I reboot, I get this errors:
insmod: a module named adiusbadsl already exist
insmod adiusbadsl failed
and the same for the acm module
Could you help a noob on this one :-)

Check for double entries in /etc/modules.conf

5) I choose the Dvorak keymap layout but at boot time, I get an error message like: load Dvorak keymap failed
But it's working correctly when I log in.
??? What should I do to get rid of this error?

Don't know.

Regards,
Ed.