Re: Why in RedHat 9 useradd command doesn't allow to introduce user with names with dots?

On Monday, Nov 24, 2003, at 05:01 America/New_York, Salvador Santander wrote:

Why in RedHat 9 useradd command doesn't allow to introduce user with names
with dots? Is for security purposes? Thanks.

I've googled this b4 and hadn't found a satisfying answer. So far the only problem I see with dots in usernames is that the chown command uses either dots or colons to separate user and group arguments (should there be group arguments). Situations could arise where files which were being chown'd to user.lastname were in fact given to user and group lastname. You can still use the dots if you manually add a user to the system (remember to use vipw) but you might consider just switching to underscores. It is widely recognized as a delimiter with no meaning to the shell.

hth,
Jurvis LaSalle