Re: DNS/BIND oddness

On Friday, November 21, 2003, at 08:49 AM, John Horne wrote:
On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 23:02, Ken Rossman wrote:
I have a glitch, however. Both "nslookup" and "host" seem to be able to
resolve short version names (e.g. 'name' for 'name.domain.net'), but
"dig" does not return anything.

Try 'dig +search name'.

Here's the part I don't understand. "dig" works fine on other systems I have messed with, but not on mine.

I have both "domain" and "search" specifications in /etc/resolv.conf,
and I have even set the domain name with "domainname".  None of those
make it automatic to find short names through DNS.

Another thing I noticed was that when I give "dig" a short name within
my own domain, it seems to bubble up to a root server on its own. If "dig"
does this by default, then that's probably the answer, since the external
view of my domain is different than my own view of it, and my DNS servers
are not domain authorities for my domain.

I guess the difference, then, is in how each tool decides it is going to
approach the problem of name resolution -- i.e. where does each tool
jump into the "tree" to find its answers.

Does that sound reasonable?

Ken