RE: DNS/BIND oddness

Ken Rossman wrote:
> I have only just now gotten named V9.2.1 up and running properly (or
> at least close to it anyway) under RedHat 9.
>
> I have a glitch, however.  Both "nslookup" and "host" seem to be able
> to resolve short version names (e.g. 'name' for 'name.domain.net'),
> but "dig" does not return anything.
>
> I believe those programs all go about doing name resolution slightly
> differently, but I would like to make sure things are set up in such a
> way that they all return the same answers, of course.
>
> Any ideas where to start looking?

Dig does not use the "search" directive from /etc/resolv.conf unless
specified on the command line. e.g.

dig +search hostname

If your not using the search directive in /etc/resolv.conf, then you can
always use

dig +domain=mydomain.com hostname

Type: man dig   - for other dig related options

Steve Cowles