Re: Sendmail Help

> Suryaman Maharjan wrote:
>
>>hi everybody !
>>
>>My college has mail server (sendmail-8.12.5-7) running on RedHat 8.0. The
>>server is dedicated for staffs only. Now, I am planning to extend the
>>email facility to students also. By doing so, there will be around 1500
>>mailboxes from present 200 mailboxes. For this, I need your valuable
>>suggestions.
>>
>>1. Can sendmail be implemented for the given number of users or we have
>>configure another MTA's like qmail?
>>

> Sendmail will do the job. But you can try Xmail (
> http://www.xmailserver.org ). With Xmail you don't need to have real
> user accounts on the machine, easier to setup and maintain than sendmail
> and it is full featured mail server ( POP3, SMTP, FINGER, POPSYNC).

If you like pain and steep learning curves, qmail+vpopmail+mysql can also
be quite a good choice but is not for the faint hearted  - possibly
overkill for 1500 users unless you've had qmail experience before, on the
plus side - there is a qmail "toaster" for redhat which works
exceptionally well to get everything up and running

http://www.qmailtoaster.com/

very nice and it works (you'll need to install all the various files under
"Stable 1.0) - gives you a nice web gui, webmail, mailing lists and a
virtual mail system that is fast and will scale to the millions of users
(you will probably need a rather powerful box for that tho :-) )

--
Steve.