Re: Sendmail Help

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 04:10:50PM +0545, Suryaman Maharjan wrote:
> My college has mail server (sendmail-8.12.5-7) running on RedHat 8.0. The
> server is dedicated for staffs only. Now, I am planning to extend the
> email facility to students also. By doing so, there will be around 1500
> mailboxes from present 200 mailboxes. For this, I need your valuable
> suggestions.
>
> 1. Can sendmail be implemented for the given number of users or we have to
> configure another MTA's like qmail?

sendmail has no problem handling a large number of users as long as your
system has adequate power.  At work we serve about 5,000 employees with
a pair of P II/450 systems with 128MB ram each.  We crank through
roughly 10,000 messages per day.

Every now and then we get a global message from our benefits provider
that pushes roughly 5,000 messages to us at the same time.  Sendmail
thrashes for a bit, temporarily rejects the e-mail (well supported in
the protocols), and eventually catches up.

We've done mailing list processing that has sent out over 40,000
messages at once on a dual P III/500.  That slowed it down for a bit but
it caught up eventually. It took it about a day, largely because I had
not done any sendmail tuning at all.

Number of mailboxes doesn't matter.  Number and size of messages do.

For only 1500 users sending external e-mail, almost any server you
through at it that was built in the last 5 years should be able to handle
the load.  Our servers are about 5 years old and still running Red Hat
Linux 6.x!

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts@xxxxxxxxxx