Re: [CSI] RH9 which in /dev correspondes to a tape drive?

On November 18, 2003 05:58 pm, J. Nyhuis wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> 	I apologize for asking a stupid question, but which devices in
> /dev would correspond to a tape drive?  The drive is a Sony AIT-100
> installed on an i86 RH9 box.
> 	Has anyone written (having dealt with this before) a script to
> check each device to see if it coorresponds to actual hardware or is just
> there for show?
>
> 	Thanks in advance,
> John Nyhuis
> Cell Systems Initiative
> University of Washington
> cabal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi John,
if you have a single scsi tape drive is should be /dev/st0 (scsi tape 0)

The devices listed in /dev are there to support whatever you may want to
attach to your system (about 7500 of them). Each file corresponds to a device
which you may need to access directly or via a mount point. Whether the
device currently exists on your system is really irrelivent unless you are so
short of space that the 1/2 MB they take up is an issue :)

--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce