computer locks up starting network

I have a PC that during bootup it locks up when starting eth0. Anyone have
any idea why that might happen? Could it be a fault network card?

I also tried reinstalling RH8 on this machine. The install worked fine up
until the point where it says its doing post install configuration, at which
point it just freezes with no error or any indicator that anything is wrong
other then that nothing happens past that point (I left it alone like that
for 24 hours just to be certain). I rebooted it but all I got was a grub
prompt and I wasn't sure what to do past that.

Anyone have any idea what might be wrong with this machine to cause it to
act this way?

Ian