Re: user commands source codes

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 01:12:14AM -0500, goksel ozturk wrote:
>    I need to implement a user command and add some new features to another
>    user command..  (ex. adding more functionalities to "ls" command ) , so i
>    need the source code of user commands...

The place you got your binary distribution from has to - by law - make
the source code available.  If you bought your Red Hat distribution,
there's a good chance the source CDs came with it.  If not, you can
download the sources from Red Hat's ftp site.

To show you the src rpm name for the package that /bin/ls comes from:
rpm -qi `rpm -qf /bin/ls`
You can now go to Red Hat's ftp site and get that package from the SRPMS
directory.

However, as another poster already said, you'll probably find it easier
to write a script to do the custom changes you want, unless the
additions you're making to ls are going to be useful to the world, in
which case you may want to contact the maintainer of the package to see
if he/she will accept the changes for distribution.  The best way to
contact the maintainer would be to file an enhancement request on
bugzilla.redhat.com with an offer to write the changes yourself.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts@xxxxxxxxxx