Re: HIPAA compliance and single login

My answer at bottom, since we're not supposed to top-post :) :

> Hi Bob,
>
> Your single login idea sounds great on paper but doesn't work with the
> platforms you mentioned unless you set up an NIS domain and install NIS
> and NFS on Windows 2000. Even then, you may have problems with Windows
> 2000 sending the NIS login information to the UNIX systems. I have tried
> this several times and was really unhappy with anyone's NIS on Windows.
>
> I had to read all the official government documentation on HIPAA to
> build a new environment for an orthodontist recently. A single login
> across platforms is not required for HIPAA, but everyone who must access
> a system must have an audited account on that system assigned to him or
> her. In other words, no shared or generic accounts. Reasonable timeouts
> are required for terminals that are logged in but standing idle.
> Everything else is the standard security procedures any good sysadm
> would build into his systems anyway.
>
> If you have any questions, please feel free to email me. If I don't know
> the answer, I probably can point you to where the answer can be found.
>

> Tom
>
> Thomas S. Fortner
> Burleson, Texas
> thomas.fortner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> "but we preach Christ crucified..."  1 Corinthians 1:23
>

> Hi all,
>    I am interested in establishing a single user login at my
> office that has about 60 machines total running on the
> network.  This is a heterogeneous network with AIX, Linux,
> and Windows.  I am wondering if I am better off spending my
> time reading up and trying to establish an LDAP server and
> then use that to authenticate or whether Kerberos will
> satisfy my needs.
>
>    Currently we are in an entirely trusted network setup.
> The new HIPPA regulations, however, make it clear that such
> a setup is not due diligence and I need to have unique
> logins and passwords for every employee and employ some sort
> of logging mechanism.
>
>    Your thoughts regarding the way to go will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob Hartung

Bob could accomplish this with Samba.  Either using the Samba server as the
PDC (which I'd recommend) or running a WinNT 4.0 Domain PDC (which I
wouldn't recommend, since M$ isn't gonna support WinNT any more).  This
works if all of the desktop machines are Windows and the servers are
heterogenous.  If the desktops are heterogenous, I don't know the piece to
get a local log on to the unix box to authenticate to the samba PDC, though
I imagine that there's a PAM piece that will allow for it.

Ben