RE: Mail error: reason: 550 5.0.0 You must use a valid mail serve r

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 13:39:40 -0600, Cowles, Steve wrote
> Mike Vanecek wrote:
> > Two questions.
> >
> > 1. Why do I not run into the same reverse lookup problem? Is it
> > because I have a static ip?
>
> Probably. FWIW: I have a static IP address through Verizon and never
> had a problem deliving e-mail even though reverse lookup queries did
> not match the name lookup. After three years, I finally found the
> right department at Verizon and got my PTR record changed.

I am using Cox-Internet. Not always the most helpful.

> > 2. If I understand things correctly ...  The only way host ip-address
> > will return my domain-name is for my isp to put a PTR record in their
> > zone definitions (which most are reluctant to do)? Any other way to
> > get a reverse lookup to point to my domain name as opposed to the isp
> > name?
>
> Not that I'm aware of. Your ISP has to either:
>
> 1) Delegate the PTR record lookup at your DNS server.
>
> 2) Change the PTR record to what you specify in their zone files.
> This is what Verizon did for me. They would not delegate (add a NS
> record) to my DNS server. BTW: Based on my conversations with
> Verizon, they only make these PTR record changes for Business
> (static) accounts, not residential (DHCP assigned) accounts.

Yea, mine with Cox-Internet is a commercial account, so ... For what they
charge me for a static ip address you would think they would bring me hot tea
in the morning. I maintain my zone records at UltraDNS. I have asked
Cox-Internet if they want to maintain them. However, I have complete control
over them at UltraDNS and will probably not move them.

I have another server configured on a Velocity virtual domain server. No
problems there since they maintain their own block of ip addresses and can
insert a PTR record in the zone (as well as maintain my zone records).
However, they control the OS and I need to be able to have one that can be
changed at will.

> If you want to understand why your ISP must make the PTR record change...
>
> Type: dig +trace -x yy.yy.yy.yy
>
> where yy.yy.yy.yy is your static IP address. The above dig command will
> follow the query back from the root name servers. The final "answer"
> should come from your ISP's name servers.

The more I use dig, the more I appreciate it power.

I tried calling tech support, but could not get by level 1 who was of little
help. I have sent an email to support. We will see where that goes.

Thank you for the information.