httpd version investigation / update problem

This question may sound like a definite sign of brain deficiency to some of
you, but I hope you stay helpful regardless of your personal feelings :-}

Generally speaking, I find it very hard to get version information on most of
the packages I have installed.  There seems to be no way of telling what
version of a software is installed by looking at the rpm's.  rpm's come with
a version number but where is that version number after a software is
installed.

Specifically, I am trying to figure out what version of httpd is installed on
my machine.  I recently upgraded to RH 9 from the official upgrade CD's.  I
found a number rpm files in /var/spool/up2date/ for httpd and php and other
things, but I cannot find whether I have them installed or not.

Sounds funny?  I looked through documentation on
http://www.redhat.com/support/resources/howto/database/database_php/ to get a
clue but that documentation seems totally out of date.  Through a previous
attempt I found out that I can no longer look for apache because it is
replaced with httpd.  But that site is still for apache.

I decided just to make sure I should reinstall httpd from rpm's.  No help,
here's what's happening

When I do:
	 rpm -i httpd-manual-2.0.40-21.3.i386.rpm
I get the message:

	package httpd-manual-2.0.40-21.3.i386.rpm is not installed

Then when I do:
	rpm -i httpd-manual-2.0.40-21.3.i386.rpm

I get the message

	 package httpd-manual-2.0.40-21.3 is already installed

All my httpd stuff seem to be installed under /etc/httpd
and
I don't know if this is of any help but  I started my http server by issuing
'startapache' and that is mapped to the following
[root@localhost etc]# which startapache
alias startapache='/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd start'
        /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd

Please help with you advice, thank you.