Re: mysqld dead but subsys locked

On November 15, 2003 05:03 am, Krishna wrote:
> Hi,
>
>         I am frequently getting this error when I restart mysqld. I even
> deleted the /var/lock/subsys/mysql file.
>         But the problem persists?
>
> still searching for an answer............
>
> regards,
> Krishna

Hi,
this would mean it probably never started, it got to the lock but failed
beyond that. I have had this issue before with a iptables on a firewall and I
think with apache one time however they were not standard install systems and
now I cannot recall what caused it, other than I think it was a a typo in the
init script or some thing like that, nothing major.

If you remove the lock file, then use "service mysqld start" then "service
mysqld status" does it say stopped? Or if you try stop instead of status does
it report failed? This is good info to see if it is dying immediately or if
it is killed later on, which I doubt.

Is the PID file also hanging around? check /var/run/ for mysqld.pid

Have you looked in the logs? (is there a /var/log/mysqld log?)

--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce