Re: Problems with eth0 and eth1 (Repost)

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 at 3:55pm (-0600), John Nichel wrote:

> I didn't see this come thru when I tried to post it the first time, so I
> am giving it another shot....
>
> Hi,
>
>    I have a Red Hat 9 box setup as a gateway/router for my home network,
> and a few times an hour, messages post to the screen (no matter if I'm
> logged in or not) stating....
>
> eht0: link up.
> eht1: link up.
>
>    The problem is, every time this happens, I lose my connection to the
> net briefly (long enough to kill ssh connections to boxes outside of my
> network).  Does anyone know why these connections would be resetting
> like this, and what I can do to stop it?  Thanks.

Try booting up with 'apm=off' appended to the kernel line in grub.  I had a
machine that, even through apm support was turned off in bios, would seem to
want to go to sleep every 20 or 40 minutes for just a second or two.  As
well as messages from the eth ports I'd also get the system timewarping back
to match the hardware clock.  Although setting the hardware clock to gmt
made that last bit invisible.  Disabling apm in the kernel made these things
behave for me.  I gather that earlier redhat kernels idn't have apm enabled
by default, or it was built as a module or something.

M.

--
WebCentral Pty Ltd           Australia's #1 Internet Web Hosting Company
Level 5, 100 Wickham St.           Network Operations - Systems Engineer