Re: FTP: connection refused

On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 04:18:43PM -0800, Brenden T. wrote:
> Hi all, I have a tough problem that hopefully has a not so tough
> solution.  I'm trying to setup a simple ftp server on Red Hat 7.2 and I
> can't get beyond "connection" refused when trying to connect externally.
> I've read every FAQ and online guide I can and I can't figure out why.

For starters, connect to your ftp service on localhost and see what it
says.

You should have 2 ports enabled for ftp traffic - both 20 and 21 need to
make it through your firewall although the connection only listens on
port 21.

After you connect from the outside, what do /var/log/messsages and
/var/log/secure say?  Whenever wu-ftpd gets grumpy, it usually outputs a
reason why.

> The big clue I think is that netstat -a says that ftp is not being
> listened on.  /etc/services looks ok to me (ftp is on port 21 for both
> UDP and TCP), I added the ftp service in /etc/xinet.d/ftp and restarted
> xinetd, so I'm not sure what could be inhibiting ftpd.  Here's my config
> from /etc/xinet.d/ftp:
> service ftp {
> disable = no
> socket_type = stream
> wait = no
> nice = 10
> user = root
> server = /usr/sbin/in.ftpd
> server_args = -l
> instances = 4
> log_on_sucess += DURATION HOST USERID
> }

Again, check /var/log/messages when you restart xinetd.  If it's done
right, you should be listening on that port.

> I modified /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny too.

This isn't going to do you any good if you're not listening on port 21.
Get that fixed first.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts@xxxxxxxxxx