Linux firewalling by port

OK, I admit it. I don't know all there is to know about Linux host-level
firewalling. :-)

I'm a bit baffled as to why I am seeing the following on a system here:

1) I can "telnet localhost 25" on system "A" and that works (gets through
to sendmail just fine).

 2) If instead I used the command "telnet A 25", I get the following:
    "telnet: connect to address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: Connection refused"

 3) I get the same "Connection refused" message when trying to telnet
    to port 25 on system A from any other system on the LAN (as I guess
    I would expect).

4) "iptables" appears to be allowing everything, so far as I can tell.
I am new to iptables, so I am not sure what else I might try, but an
"iptables --list" command shows "policy ACCEPT" for all three chains.

 5) If there's perhaps some old ipchains stuff in the way here, I don't
    know how to find it and kill it.

 6) Since sendmail isn't listed amongst the xinetd daemons, that's not
    where it is enabled/disabled...

So what am I missing here???

tnx, K