Re: Firewall Configuration in Redhat 9.0

Not sure what results you are getting or how you are testing but,

1. A decent tutorial can be found on
http://www.siliconvalleyccie.com/linux-hn/iptables-intro.htm.  It helped me
get the syntax down and it provided me w/ a basis for structuring rules.

2. A good way to test is to start logging traffic to the syslog
(/var/log/messages) by trying to send/recv to the various ports.  If your
log rule catches your dropped packets, you should be able to identify the
source/dest ports, IPs, etc...

3. Make sure you have iptables running.  Check your init scripts and put
Sxxxiptables in the appropriate run level.  Then check the rules w/
iptables -L when you think this service is loaded.

4. Manage your rules in a script.  This is much easier than writing all of
the rules out on the command line.  Your first rule should flush
(iptables -F) the appropriate tables you are working w/.

You mentioned closing all ports.  You should probably let traffic run on at
least the loopback.  You may already be doing so, but I thought I'd mention
it.

I hear shorewall (http://www.shorewall.net/) is nice... I havent tried it,
but other seem to like it.  If I have some time, I will give it a go to see
what the fuss is about :)

Hope that helps or at least gets you started.

Thanks,

Alejandro