FW: Does Red Hat 9 include Indexed EXT3?

I am trying to replace a Windows NT 4.0 server with a Linux based server. I
tried with Red Hat 7.3 but even after putting in some patched kernels and
utilities the indexed EXT3 directories did not seem to work well.

To replace the Windows NT server without rewriting several pieces of
software would require the ability to hold a few million files in one
directory. In trying to copy the files from the NT server to an out of the
box 7.3 installation it started to bog down after about three thousand
entries. I have read that an indexing strategy has been added to some
kernels and utilities have been upgraded to work with them. I was wondering
if Red hat 9 supports them and if so can they handle millions of files in a
directory and what is necessary to implement it.

Thanks for any help.

Darrell