Re: Why doesn't RedHat 9 contain linuxconf?

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 06:40:28AM -0600, Ed Wilts wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 09:08:20AM +0100, Salvador Santander wrote:
> > Is there any reason for this? I think linuxconf is a good administration
> > tool. Where can I get the last rpm's?
>
> There are a *lot* of good tools that RHL doesn't contain.  Red Hat
> simply can't provide everything.  You may find that the Fedora project
> will allow for more packages like this to be readily available.

unfortunately, LinuxConf had grown out of sync with RH over the last
few releases. Not sure why this was allowed to happen, as I understand
that Red Hat had, at one point, been supporting its development. I agree
that it is/was a useful tool, but since it is no longer in sync with
the configs needed for RH, it's not a lot of use. In fact, as of RH8
(and maybe earlier, for all I know) it was officially deprecated
according to the RH release notes. Back at 7.2 some parts of it just
didn't do useful things, it was possible to wedge certain config files
to the point where some subsystems no longer worked.

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -----------------------------
                        The Lord is like a strong tower.