NumLock problem (after startx : does not respond to pressing the NumLock key)

Hello,
I have a problem with NumLock key :

When I boot my RedHat I do not enter directly to the X windows, but to terminal
mode.
In that mode, there is no problem with NumLock button ; it acts as a toggle;
pressing it once causes the LED to be ON , and pressing it twice causes the LED
to be OFF;

Now , I perform startx; after the X Windows starts, strangely the NumLock button stops
to react to key presses . the LED stays off , no matter how many times we press it.

Now, the LED is not the real problem ; the real problem is that in FACT it is *ON*
all the time (even that the LED is off).

and when pressing the numeric keys under the NumLock , it acts as it NumLock is ON ;
so pressing Home prints "7", etc.

I did not found any error in the XFree86 log ; also googling the NET did not help.
What to do ?

regards,
sting