Re: PuTTY SSH w/o a Password

On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 16:48, L. Christopher Luther wrote:
> I'm trying to use PuTTY to connect to a RH 8 box using SSH and a
> password-less private key file.  I have no trouble using PuTTY to connect to
> this same server using SSH and password authentication -- it's only when I
> use private/public key files.
>
> I used the puttygen program to generate an RSA public and private key (I
> also tried DSA keys), and put the resulting public key file in the RH user's
> ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file.
>
> The ~/.ssh directory has mode 700 and authorized_keys has mode 644 (I also
> tried mode 640).  These modes were chosen because I searched the redhat-list
> archives and discovered that someone else was receiving "Authentication
> refused: bad ownership or modes for ..." messages.
>
> These messages are now gone, but PuTTY now displays the following messages:
>
>     Using username "user".
>     Server refused our key
>     user@myserver's password:
>
> I launch putty specifying the user name (-l username), private key file (-i
> private.ppk), and saved session (-load myserver).  Any suggestions or ideas?

Isn't there a conversion that need to occur to get openssh to use keys
generated from other systems?

If putty can generate a key in the proper format try running the server
in debug mode.  you can set the loglevel in sshd_config and restart or
stop sshd ans start it manually with sshd -D and it will not detach from
the term and you can watch it go.

man sshd

Bret