From: Brent [mailto:brentley@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 5:59 PM
To: redhat-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: PuTTY SSH w/o a Password

On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 16:48, L. Christopher Luther wrote:
> I'm trying to use PuTTY to connect to a RH 8 box using SSH and a
> password-less private key file.  I have no trouble using PuTTY to connect
> this same server using SSH and password authentication -- it's only when I
> use private/public key files.
>
> I used the puttygen program to generate an RSA public and private key (I
> also tried DSA keys), and put the resulting public key file in the RH
user's
> ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file.
>
> The ~/.ssh directory has mode 700 and authorized_keys has mode 644 (I also
> tried mode 640).  These modes were chosen because I searched the
redhat-list
> archives and discovered that someone else was receiving "Authentication
> refused: bad ownership or modes for ..." messages.
>
> These messages are now gone, but PuTTY now displays the following
messages:

>     Using username "user".
>     Server refused our key
>     user@myserver's password:
>
> I launch putty specifying the user name (-l username), private key file
(-i
> private.ppk), and saved session (-load myserver).  Any suggestions or
ideas?

> Sincerely,
>
> L. Christopher Luther
> Technical Consultant
> Xybernaut Solutions, Inc.
> (703) 654-3642
> cluther@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> http://www.xybernautsolutions.com
>
> My PGP Public Key:
> http://keyserver.pgp.com/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x21261B88
>
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE:  This communication contains
> information that is confidential and/or legally privileged.
> This information is intended only for the use of the individual
> or entity named on this communication. If you are not the
> intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
> copying, distribution, printing or other use of, or any action
> in reliance on, the contents of this communication is strictly
> prohibited.  If you receive this communication in error, please
> immediately notify us by telephone at (703) 631-6925.

> Unsolicited commercial e-mail will automatically be
> reported to the appropriate abuse@ - without exception.
I no longer use MS, so I have forgotten the details for PuTTY, but here
are some things to keep in mind:

RSA keys are only used for ssh1.  If you want ssh2, then use dsa keys
only.

your ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file must have one key per line... watch out
for line wrapping.

your ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file must have 600 permission.

Good Luck!
--
Brent Langston <brentley@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
GPG ID: 1024D/09D551AC