Re: Grub and a new HD

On November 10, 2003 11:26 pm, Alejandro Calbazana wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Just finished cleaning up a machine and installed RH 9 on it... Everything
> went well w/ the install but I am having some bad luck tonight.  My
> external firewire drive, which I just bought, died on me (click, click,
> click...).  I did manage to see that it was supported by the OS though :)
> That's reassuring!
>
> Now for the real problem (which is entirely unrelated)....
>
> With Grub as my boot manager, I seem to have some confusion with a 2nd HD.
> I did install w/ hdc as my cd-rom.  After a successful install, I decided
> to swap out my cd-rom with a new HD and place my CD on a different IDE
> channel. This seems to have caused some confusion as I can not get an fdisk
> -l from my 2nd HD.  Looking at the grub config file, I see that
> hdc=ide-scsi... This is not true.  I am sure this is a hangover from the
> original installation. However, I don't know what to modify to get it
> running.  Any help is appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alejandro

Hi,
That reference "hdc=ide-scsi" at the end of the line is an option for the
device. This is common for a cd burner (& others?), not sure why but they
seem to need to look like scsi devices. So that should reflect your cd-drive
and be at the end of the line beginning with 'kernel'. Looks like you may
need to change the reference from hdc to hdd or whatever is appropriate.

Any changes you make in Grub take next boot, you don't need to run anything to
kick it into gear (like lilo). You could also try your changes during boot
(say it was having serious bootup issues) without changing the file. When
Grub flashes up, there are instructions at the bottom of the screen to access
an editor. It is a good thing to be familiar with.

--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce