Re: fsck allways fails after unclean shutdown on redhat 9 - help!

On Tuesday 11 November 2003 09:57 am, martynas@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Some, with ext3 type on root partition there is no such problem? Could
> somebody confirm this? Or maybe better, could somebody confirm this, who
> migrated from ext2 to ext3 on root partition and the problem disapeared

I expect the problem would dissapear. I've used ext3 on any other systems with
no problem such this. The only reason I use ext2 on this cluster was because
somehow the tools that I used for building the cluster use an image creation
software that only support ext2.
But I'l be back here if after I migrate to ext3 I still see the problem.

In anycase, I think Ed has a valid point that it's probably not much point in
filing bug report on this.

RDB

> regards,
> Martynas
>
> --- Ed Wilts <ewilts@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 03:43:54PM +0200, martynas@xxxxxxx wrote:
> > > yes..the same problem as mine.. I dont want to use ext3 on root
> > > partition
> >
> > for
> >
> > > some reasons.. and I use ext3 only on other partitions, so I would like

> > > correct this redhat 9 behaviour... it's pain every time to go somehwere

> > > check clean FS ( i have systems in serveral places).. maybe it is worth

> > > send this as bug? Or maybe somebody knows, how to fix it?
> >
> > I would expect that even if you filed a bug, it's not going to be a high
> > priority for anybody to fix.  After all, ext3 is the supported mechanism
> > to prevent this.  If you can't run ext3 ("for some reasons" isn't very
> > descriptive), then you may want to file bug/enhancement requests so that
> > you can run ext3.  The developers don't have enough time, and they're
> > going to be hitting the bigger issues first.  ext2 issues on a dead-end
> > product aren't going to be fixed in a time period that's going to do you
> > any good.
> >
> > --
> > Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
> > mailto:ewilts@xxxxxxxxxx
> > Member #1, Red Hat Community Ambassador Program
> >

> > --

Reuben D. Budiardja
Department of Physics and Astronomy
side effect."