Rép. : Re: RH9 mail/sendmail behavior

>>> ewilts@xxxxxxxxxx 08/11/2003 14:52:27 >>>
On Sat, Nov 08, 2003 at 11:57:38AM +0100, Georges Rosset wrote:

> Dear RedHat gurus,
>
> On RedHat 7.2, it was possible to send e-mail with:  "mail
> xxx@xxxxxxxx", even when sendmail was not running as a
> daemon.
>
> On RedHat 9, this doesn't seem to be possible anymore. When
> sendmail is not running as a daemon, using "mail xxx@xxxxxxxx"

> will not work and the following error message will appears on
> maillog:
>
> stat=Deferred: Connection refused by [127.0.0.1]
>
> How could I get back the same behavior as RedHat 7.2 : that
is
> to be able to send my administrative e-mail without having
> sendmail running as a daemon (I don't want the port 25 to be
> open) ?

The default configuration for sendmail, as shipped by Red Hat,
is that
port 25 will be open, but *only* for 127.0.0.1.  That will allow
you to
queue and send your mail, but not allow anyone from the outside
to send
you mail.  Does this not effectively do what you want?

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts@xxxxxxxxxx

Thank you for your answer.

Unfortunately no. This machine will be hosting a Lotus Domino
server which has a daemon listening on port 25. Therefor sendmail
must not be running as a daemon.

All what I need is to send all my administrative Linux e-mail to
a central help desk for monitoring. And I have a lot of scripts
already running on the old machine (RH7.2) which uses "mail
xxx@xxxxxxxx".
Really, the simplest way would be that I could configure
mail/sendmail on RH9 to have the same behavior as RH7.2...
However, I spent already a couple of days on it and have not
found the solution.

Georges Rosset