Re: Does exist linuxconf or kpackage in RedHat 9?

On November 7, 2003 03:42 am, Salvador Santander wrote:
> I've reciently installed ReHat 9 distribution and I'm surprised because I
> don't found linuxconf or kpackage, and instead of kpackage there's an
> application manager more ... "windowser". Can I configrue this tool to
> select individually a rpm package? Why don't exist linuxconf?

Hi,
Red Hat wanted to offer the same tools for Gnome & KDE and also similar tools
for command line, so they have packaged the "redhat-config-.." utilities
(they are what you see in the "start-here->System Settings" but you can also
start them from a terminal. The nice thing is that If you want to use a tool
for those things (hmm), you will have the same utilities in KDE or Gnome
(other de's?) and they all are very similar in look and feel (this is
basiclly the idea behind Bluecurve Desktop).

I think the printtool is probably the only one that is a great value. You
should be careful relying on tools for many of these tasks as there are
portential issues with them such as the Apache config tool will squash your
httpd.conf file to bits removing a lot of good comments etc (off topic but
swat for samba does this as well).

I think this is all of them:
redhat-config-bind
redhat-config-date