RE: Telnet

--> Hi all,
-->
--> I am having an issue telnetting to my RH 9 server.
--> It has the right IP, pingable and doing a chkconfig shows
--> the telnet is on. Running a ntsysv shows me the same.
-->
--> Doing an rpm -qa shows me one telnet package installed.
--> Should a telnet server be installed as well?

The telnet server is usually handled by xinetd in RedHat 9.  However, telnet
is disabled by default in the standard RH9 install.  You'll have to go into
the xinetd conf file to change that, but you should seriously consider using
a more secure communication method like OpenSSH.

Check the man pages for xinetd too - they're worth a read...

- J