Sapphire Radeon 9600 PRO and XFree86

To everyone who has contacted me regarding drivers for the Sapphire Radeon 9600 PRO graphics card on Red Hat Linux:

I thought you might like to know that Red Hat's latest radeon driver (which is based on the XFree86 one) supports the 9600 PRO. See http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/ for more info. Also, http://www.ati.com/ has for some time had an updated Linux driver package that should work with the 9600. Note that drivers from Red Hat or the XFree project, and the ATI ones, are completely different, as far as I can tell; ATI drivers give real 3D support via special kernel modules and some proprietary code, while the others are mainly 2D.

I haven't had the time to test the updated drivers yet, though.

- Toralf