Kernel upgrade problem

I am currently running 2.4.18-3 kernel on a dual xeon processor motherboard. I need to upgrade the kernel to 2.4.18-5. I have a HPT RAID controller with RAID1 setup. Since the driver is for stock kernel I have to rebuild the "2.4.18-5" kernel along with the driver module. I have used the config file "/boot/config-2.4.18-3smp" file, which was created during installation, for rebuilding the new kernel. During installation of 2.4.18-3 (which is what comes with Red Hat 7.3) I had to use "linux expert apic" to successfully install. Without "apic" I can never get it to sucessfully install (it would hang during "Performing post install configuration" phase). I have followed the instructions per the Red Hat's "building custom Kernel" on-line manual.

After I boot into the new kernel I have observed few issues:

1. The mouse no longer functions (moving the mouse does not move the cursor on the screen). I am using a USB optical mouse. It is powered.
2. I have captured the output of "lsmod" for both kernels. The size of all the modules are smaller in the new kernel compared to the old kernel (may be the code got efficient going from old to new kernel). Apart from the size difference I see two other differences. a) The order of "hid" and "input" modules are reversed. b) In the old kernel the module input reads "input 6432 0 [mousedev hid]" and in the new kernel the module input reads "input 6176 0 [mousedev]".

The problems I am grappling with are:

1. Why is the mouse device not functioning?
2. When I issue "init 0" under new kernel I still have to manually turn the power off. While in the old kernel it would power down on its own when I issue the command "init 0".
3. Are there any tests that I need to run before I feel comfortable with the kernel upgrade?

Any pointers to resolve the above problems will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Srini