Re: Help Sought with Samba pseudo printer for PDF...

Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:

On Wednesday 05 November 2003 10:11 am, Timothy Stone wrote:
<snip>

Simple enough, right? Well, something is haywire. The pseudo printer is
available to a Windoze client via Add Printer... Printing seems to work
at first, but the resulting output is *always* 321 bytes and cannot be
opened by Adobe Acrobat. :(

Additionally, there seems to be a rather unfriendly message about
"Access Denied, unable to connect" message on the Windoze client, yet
status is "Ready".

I have a feeling that PAM might be getting in the way. I have really
loosened my Samba.conf per the Samba Project Documentation, Chapter 8 on
Anonymous Printing. I tweaked CUPS for raw feeds per the docs, but I
never really got printing working on my Linux box effectively in the
first place, and I'm pretty sure that I'm not asking Samba to use CUPS.

My original sources for setting this up came from the following:

http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue72/bright.html

Hello,
Not sure if this is much help, but I followed the same article with some slight modification / adjustment to suit my need and it works. My suggestion is to test the following:

1. Make sure you can create PDF with the script and everything *on* the linux box itself. This is to make sure that your script is really working.

Hmmm... well, this actually produces something I wasn't expecting (using the script per LG#72):

[tstone@psyche bin]$ /usr/local/bin/printpdf ~/viEtcHostsHelp.doc
**** Unable to open the initial device, quitting.
mv: cannot stat `/share/pdfdrop/Nov05-112520.temp': No such file or directory
[tstone@psyche bin]$ ls /share/pdfdrop
[tstone@psyche bin]$ ls -ld /share/pdfdrop
drwxr-xr-x 2 nobody nobody 4096 Nov 5 09:34 /share/pdfdrop
[tstone@psyche bin]$ ls -ld /usr/local/bin/printpdf
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 879 Nov 5 11:24 printpdf
[tstone@psyche bin]$

At some point this was working and I was getting a 321 byte PDF. But since then I have configured Samba to use the much more consise LinuxMagazine printer directly in the smb.conf. This also produces a 321 byte file.

Could this be Ghostscript issue before it's something else? I'm using the default gs with RHL 8 (Psyche)

[tstone@psyche bin]$ rpm -qa | egrep -i ghostscript
ghostscript-fonts-5.50-7
ghostscript-7.05-20

2. If 1 is fine, the likely your problem is the samba share. Make sure you configure sambe to publicly share it and that you can access the printer.

Seems like your problem is a bit combination of the two, but I don't know. I'd make sure that 1 works first, then we can better pinpoint where the trouble really is.

Hope that helps.
RDB