Re: Help Sought with Samba pseudo printer for PDF...

On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 09:51, Timothy Stone wrote:
> ...snip...
>
> Bret Hughes wrote:
> >
> > Are you wanting to print pdfs or create pdfs.  THe example above seems
> > to discuss using a printer share to create one.  If that is the case
> > what is in the 321 byte file?
> >

> Opps, yes. I want to *create* PDFs. Thank you for that point of
> clarification.
>
> What is in those short PDFs? Postscript as near as I can tell. It's
> short enough to paste:
>
> [tstone@psyche pdfdrop]$ less smbprn.00000002.KMoXvK.pdf
> %PDF-1.3
> %Çì<8F>¢
> 3 0 obj
> << /Type /Pages /Kids [
> ] /Count 0
>  >>
> endobj
> 1 0 obj
> <</Type /Catalog /Pages 3 0 R
>  >>
> endobj
> 2 0 obj
> <</Producer(GNU Ghostscript 7.05)>>endobj
> xref
> 0 4
> 0000000000 65535 f
> 0000000068 00000 n
> 0000000116 00000 n
> 0000000015 00000 n
> trailer
> << /Size 4 /Root 1 0 R /Info 2 0 R
>  >>
> startxref
> 166
> %%EOF

If I try to open this in a file in acroread I get a message saying it
can't open it because there are no pages.  since the file is getting
created it looks like the printer is getting triggered but for some
reason the file is not getting passed to gv properly.

Try posting your printer definition from smb.conf and maybe someone can
see the problem.

I am wondering if samba tries to write the file to a disk somewhere and
does not have permission to do so but that is a WAG

Crank up logging to 3 or so and try it and see what you get in the smb
logs. On a standard rpm based install the logs get written to
/var/log/samba

> > Other things to look at:
> >
> > I have always used the DIAGNOSIS.txt file found in the
> > /usr/share/doc/samba* for trouble shooting a setup.
> >

> I'm not seeing the DIANOSIS.txt file I think will need to review. As I
> built Samba 3.0. Nothing in /usr/local/samba reflecting a similar file. :(

hmm on my laptop:

[bhughes@bretsony lib]$ locate DIAG
/usr/share/doc/samba-2.2.7/docs/textdocs/DIAGNOSIS.txt

Bret