multibooting issue

Hello list,

I know usually questions involving other operating systems are not encouraged in this list but I guess some of you have done or tried to do what Im going to describe now and perhaps somebody has answers. I tried to use the windows xp bootloader to boot both windows and redhat 9. This was what I did:

#image of the first 512 bytes from my linux /boot partition to a file:

dd if=/dev/hda2 of=linux.bin bs=512 count=1

#mount the windows partition and copy this file to "C:\linux.bin"

mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/win

mcopy linux.bin /mnt/win

Now, in windows boot loader included the line C:\linux.bin="redhat"

boot,

I did this in two computers, both with redhat 9. In one computer it works perfectly, in the other when the boot loader goes to "redhat" the only thing I get is a blinking cursor.

My question is, what could be wrong? the computers have similar hardware and redhat9 was installed on them from the same media and both have the same patches. How can I diagnose the problem?

Thanks for any light.