Re: RHEL

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 11:17:41AM -0600, Steve Buehler wrote:
> I purchased the RHEL ES and when I go to download the ISO's, there are two
> kinds
> Binary Disc 1
> Binary Disc 2
> Binary Disc 3
> Binary Disc 4
> Source Disc 1
> Source Disc 2
> Source Disc 3
>
> For a normal installation, do I just get the "Binary Disc's"?

Yup.  You can do a complete install with those 4 CDs.

>  What would
> the source Disc's do for me?  Would the source discs mainly be for if I
> wanted to change the way some of the programs work and manually install
> them?

If you're going to recompile the packages, you need the source rpms.
Frankly, however, I think that they're there because the GPL requires
that they be made available, not because anybody uses them.  You'll be
updating your packages regularly, so the source rpms from CD become out
of date quickly.  If you ever need the source rpm, grab the latest
version from RHN.

I don't even bother downloading the source rpms.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts@xxxxxxxxxx