Re: Can iptables do this?

> At 21:07 11/3/2003, you wrote:
> >My server has only one network card and I put two ip addresses on it. One
> >is the normal one and the other is the local network address.  The problem
> >is HOW can I disable the firewall(iptables) within the local
> >network(eth0:0) and only within the local network? Say I can connect to
> >the server from any machine within the local network,say 192.168.0.2, or
> >192.168.0.10. But I can't connect to the server from outside,say
> >128.97.10.100 unless
> >I use ssh.

That pretty simple. Assume you LAN IP is on network 192.168.0.0:

Your first line in IPTables would be -
-A INPUT -s 192.168.0.0/24 -j ACCEPT

Don't try to do it with device matching which could be problematic.
HOWEVER, you might want to create some statements with MAC matching to
preclude spoofing.

BTW, webmin provides a very good GUI to IPTables which might help you
get started. To eliminate the Webmin crutch, you need to review
/etc/sysconfig/iptables to see exactly what commands are being offered
to IPT.